This high level, linear walk takes in famous escarpments which will include Derwent Edge, Bamford or Stanage Edge, Burbage, Froggatt, Curbar, Gardom and Baslow Edges. Along the route there are far-ranging views all day – towards Mam Tor, Kinder Scout and Bleaklow. Woods, valleys, reservoirs and villages lie far below. They’ll be a café and toilet stop along the route!
The walk commences at Ladybower Reservoir and finishes at the Robin Hood Pub near Baslow. As this is a linear walk, we will be organising car shares to return to our starting point.
Meeting and Parking
We meet in front of the Visitor Centre and Toilets at Fairholmes Visitor Centre Car Park, Ladybower Reservoir, S33 0AQ.
- The nearest posts code is S33 0AQ, but that covers a wide area, so a sat nav might not take you to the correct place.
- Off the A57 if you are heading towards Glossop, turn right up the road that heads north up the west side of Ladybower Reservoir.
- It is signposted to ‘Upper Derwent Valley’, or ‘Derwent Dams’.
- Drive up the road for just over two miles with the reservoir on your right, then look out for the turn on the right that leads into the main Fairholmes car park.
- The car park is a pay & display and costs (currently) £5 per day. The ticket machine may only take coins.
Please see a Google Map showing the location of the Derwent Visitor Centre Car Park here.
Please Note: This is a linear walk that finishes at the Robin Hood Pub Chesterfield Rd, Baslow, DE45 1PQ – 25 minutes drive from our starting point. See map >. We will therefore be organising car shares to return to our starting point where cars are parked at Ladybower.
Coming by Bus or Train
We’re keen to support public transport use and reduce emissions. If you’re arriving reasonably nearby we’ll give you a free lift.
Start: There is a takeaway café (hopefully, but not guaranteed to be open) where we start. There are also toilets and parking at Derwent Visitor Centre but no Wifi and poor mobile reception. There’s more information about the Derwent Visitor Centre here
Finish: The walk finishes at the Robin Hood Pub Chesterfield Rd, Baslow, DE45 1PQ – 25 minutes drive from our starting point. See map >. (We will therefore be organising car shares to return to our starting point where cars are parked at Ladybower).
This is a Tough Walk. Here is our walk difficulty guide >
We have created a separate page of the most frequently asked questions here >
Click here to see a Google map of accommodation near this walks start.
We have also created a page of Peak District accommodation we recommend here >
Respect, Protect and Enjoy!
We all want to respect, protect and enjoy the fragile upland environments where we walk, so that they can be enjoyed by generations to come. Following The Countryside Code really helps…
- Be considerate to those living in, working in and enjoying the countryside
- Leave gates and property as you find them
- Do not block access to gateways or driveways when parking
- Be nice, say hello, share the space
- Follow local signs and keep to marked paths unless wider access is available
- Take your litter home – leave no trace of your visit
- Do not light fires and only have BBQs where signs say you can
- Always keep dogs under control and in sight
- Dog poo – bag it and bin it – any public waste bin will do
- Care for nature – do not cause damage or disturbance
- Check your route and local conditions
- Plan your adventure – know what to expect and what you can do
- Enjoy your visit, have fun, make a memory
Want to know more?
- Sustainability – our actions and fund raising to support the local environment, communities and economy.
- Contact Us – ask a question or make a suggestion.