Our walk starts from the peaceful village of Warslow, equidistant between Ashbourne and Buxton. The route soon climbs high onto Ecton Hill, an area of industrial history which includes disused copper mines. Wetton Mill in the valley is a perfect place to stop for refreshments before the steep climb onto Wetton Hill, where we are rewarded with views across Derbyshire and neighbouring Staffordshire. A slight deviation off the route to Thor’s Cave is worth the effort to view this natural cavern, perched high on the hillside. Our final summit of the day, Ossoms Hill, allows us to view the beautiful Manifold Valley below before we return to Warslow.
Want to make a weekend of it? You can also book our Hills of Dovedale Fitness Walk on Sunday 28 January 2024 here >
Meeting and Parking
We meet on the road side outside The Greyhound Inn, Leek Road, Warslow, post code SK17 0JN. There is free parking on Leek Road.
Please see a Google Map showing the location of Leek Road and the Greyhound Inn here.
Coming by Bus or Train?
We’re keen to support public transport use and reduce emissions. If you’re arriving reasonably nearby we’ll give you a free lift. Just ask us when you book.
Warslow is a small village with a pub but no toilet facilities or shops. The nearest village/towns with toilet facilities, shops, restaurants, pubs and accommodation are Ashbourne, Hartington, Leek and Buxton. See map here.
This is a Tough Walk. Here is our walk difficulty guide >
We have created a separate page of the most frequently asked questions here >
Click here to see a Google map of accommodation near this walks start.
We have also created a page of Peak District accommodation we recommend here >
Respect, Protect and Enjoy!
We all want to respect, protect and enjoy the fragile upland environments where we walk, so that they can be enjoyed by generations to come. Following The Countryside Code really helps…
- Be considerate to those living in, working in and enjoying the countryside
- Leave gates and property as you find them
- Do not block access to gateways or driveways when parking
- Be nice, say hello, share the space
- Follow local signs and keep to marked paths unless wider access is available
- Take your litter home – leave no trace of your visit
- Do not light fires and only have BBQs where signs say you can
- Always keep dogs under control and in sight
- Dog poo – bag it and bin it – any public waste bin will do
- Care for nature – do not cause damage or disturbance
- Check your route and local conditions
- Plan your adventure – know what to expect and what you can do
- Enjoy your visit, have fun, make a memory
Want to know more?
- Sustainability – our actions and fund raising to support the local environment, communities and economy.
- Contact Us – ask a question or make a suggestion.